In most of the big or MNC companies, employers prefer graduates that have some kind of experience, because in present scenario, work experience is the only thing that an individual rely on. When a student is in his graduation days, it is important for them to have their internships as it offers many benefits including:
- Gain knowledge: The academic studies of a student can be enriched by the new perspectives, experience and commercial awareness that they gain while working in an industry environment.
- Develop key skills: A work placement provides the opportunity for the candidate to develop key employ ability skills such as problem-solving, teamwork, communication and time management that graduate recruiters look for.
- Explore different career options: A work placement will let an individual ‘try before you buy’ and often give them a taste of several different roles available within a company to provide new ideas about variety of available career options.
- Secure a graduate job: A work placement will give an individual a competitive edge when it comes to applying for graduate jobs. Employers prefer graduates who have experience and it isn’t unheard of for an employer to offer a graduate role to students who have already completed a placement or internship with them.
- Go global: Students can undertake work experience in their areas in any company or even abroad so that wide range of opportunities could be opened in front of them.
- Get paid while you study: Many placements can be well paid, an excellent way to fund the cost of your studies.
Work experience can help demonstrate to employers that a student is ready for the world of work, and will provide you with a portfolio of transferable skills, an understanding and appreciation of the commercial world and potentially inspire your future career direction.
In highly competitive environment, Employers are increasingly looking for students who are able to combine excellent academic achievement with practical hands-on experience. Good work experience can teach new skills, Highlight the required skills, explore a career idea, Connect you to people, illuminate the method of working, etc.